Congratulations Class of 2018!
Incarnate Word Academy's 80 graduates have been accepted to 125 prestigious colleges and universities across the world and have earned over $7 million in merit-based scholarships. Please join the Sisters of the Incarnate Word & Blessed Sacrament, the IWA Board of Advisors, faculty, and staff in extending congratulations and prayers for the Class of 2018.
Class of 2018 College Acceptances
*Indicates planned attendance
Abilene Christian University
Leading with Extraordinary Solutions
Another great semester in Leading with Service in the books! Students once again created extraordinary solutions to make the world special! Our student leaders organized into groups and worked on six projects supporting the San Francisco Nativity, Friends for Life, Queen of Peace Catholic School, 2nd Cup, the Periwinkle Foundation and various breast cancer survivor organizations. Students wrapped up the semester by creating multimedia presentations that included photography, videography, and website creation. Check out some of our student portfolios to get a taste of what they've been up to.
- Project YANA: You Are Not Alone This group worked with the Periwinkle Foundation to provide fun art & game activities for the kiddos at Texas Children’s hospital. They also raised money through a bracelet making fundraiser to support the foundation’s efforts of bringing joy to patients. Their goal was to bring about greater awareness of mental health surrounding those with cancer and to give those with mental illnesses the strength to keep moving forward.
- Project: Sunflowerz Partnering with San Francisco Nativity, this group has been hosting weekly after-school enrichment programs for the Pre-K students. Their mission is to bridge socioeconomic gaps by uniting children from low-income households and helping them to discover their passions and talents by introducing them to what the world has to offer. Their events have included an Easter egg hunt, arts & crafts, music day and water day.
- Project: Life of Hope These students have spent the semester seeking to give those diagnosed with breast cancer an outlook of hope and joy. They have partnered with local area hospitals to adopt 4 breast cancer survivor support groups. Through these groups, they have developed relationships with the women, hosted a tea party and held a relaxing yoga class. They even partnered with IWA’s business, Rosé, to provide care packages for the women.
- Project: Pawsitively Purrfect Concern for animals is top of mind for this group. They are partnering with Friends for Life to help animals who have been mistreated feel loved while raising awareness about animal abuse to encourage others to help the mistreated animals as well. During the month of April, the team went out to the Friends for Life facility to clean cages and assist with projects. At the end of the month, they held a very successful pet adoption fair at the East End Farmer’s Market.
- Project: STEM Big Excited to be working with Queen of Peace Catholic School, this class has been working all semester to provide a mentoring programming for middle school girls to build their confidence in body and mind. Over the course of four Fridays, they have gone after school to host a couple of science experiments to encourage interest in STEM education. Additionally, they have put together body positivity classes with fun activities such as Zumba.
- Project: Pathways This team worked hard all semester to raise awareness of Human Trafficking in Houston and foster a sense of community among survivors. Partnering with 2nd Cup, and a few other Houston based non-profits, they hosted a painting event for survivors of human trafficking. They will be hosting a Soulcore event here at IWA next week to pray for an end to Human Trafficking. They will also be hosting an awareness event at 2nd Cup on May 17th to raise awareness in the local community.
Celebrating 145 years during Foundation Day
It’s Foundation Day y'all and we are SO grateful the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament made their way to Houston one hundred and forty-five years ago! After celebrating all-school Mass together at Annunciation Church, marking both May Crowning and the Class of 2018's last all-school Mass, the entire school gathered together to recognize some of the outstanding achievements that took place this year. A special congratulations to the Admissions Team (Kate O'Brien, Clare Kafoglis, & Brooke Holmes) for receiving the 2018 Jeanne de Matel Award! The afternoon was spent celebrating IWA's Foundation Day with dance parties, karaoke, bounce castles, and a street party on Jackson Street complete with a dunk tank! Special thanks to our "dad grillers", Student Council, and faculty organizers Lorien Cuneo, Melissa Micheletti, and Mily Perez. Check out pictures of our day here and here!
Academic Awards Night at IWA
Congratulations to all of the students who were recognized during Academic Awards Ceremony on Thursday. You can find a full list of honorees here. Pictured above are Victoria Bonilla, Katie Edwards, and Libby Diamond who were recognized with the 2018 Servant of the Word Award, Spirit of the Word Award, and Woman of the Word Award respectively.