IWA students are supported in the college process every step of the way.
Students work one-on-one with a college counselor throughout all four years to make purposeful course selections and extracurricular decisions. Students develop academic records and resumes that reflect their unique experiences as learners and leaders. The college counseling program scaffolds opportunities for students to visit colleges, meet with admissions representatives, attend summer programs, and apply for scholarships. Most importantly, Incarnate Word Academy empowers students to lead the way to finding their right college fit.
- College Counselor
- Naviance: College & Career Readiness Software
- College Visits
- Application Workshops
- Standardized Test Preparation
Students work one-on-one with a college counselor throughout all four years to make purposeful course selections and extracurricular decisions. Additionally, our college counselor guides students to take full advantage of college resources including: Naviance, application workshops, college visits, essay writing, and standardized test preparation.
IWA uses Naviance, a comprehensive website that students can use to plan for college and career. Naviance provides up-to-date information that is specific to our school. Naviance allows you to:
- Get involved in the planning and advising process: Build a resume, complete online surveys, and manage timelines and deadlines for making decisions about colleges and careers
- Research colleges: Compare GPAs, standardized test scores, and other statistics to actual historical data from our school for students who have applied and been admitted in the past
- Research careers: Research hundreds of careers and career clusters, and take career assessments
It's important to explore many different colleges and universities before making a final decision. We encourage students to take advantage of representative visits on campus, local college fairs, and campus tours as early as possible.
- College Representative Visits: Each fall, many college representatives visit IWA to learn about the school and meet with our students. Most visits happen during the junior/senior lunch period, but some are scheduled during Flex Time. Students can view a list of upcoming visits on Naviance or on the IWA Community Calendar. We encourage students to visit with many college representatives to learn about a variety of colleges and to practice leaning into the challenge of discussing college with a new adult.
- College Fairs: All students and their families are invited to the Catholic High Schools College Fair at Strake Jesuit (250+ colleges) and the IWA Mini College Fair (20+ colleges). The IWA Mini College Fair is immediately prior to Parent/Student/Teacher Conferences so parents can also attend while they are already coming to campus.
- Texas Tour: Juniors may sign up to attend IWA’s Texas College Tour in the fall and the spring. Juniors are encouraged to plan individual college visits in the spring.
The College Counselor offers college workshops for both students and parents throughout the year. Topics include creating a college list, visiting colleges, creating a polished resume, using Naviance, and writing college essays.
- PSAT Workshop: Sophomores, juniors, and their parents participate in a workshop about interpreting the test results and how to prepare for the SAT & ACT standardized tests.
- College Application Case Study Workshop: All students (9th-12th grade) and their parents are invited to see what it's like to be a college admissions counselor and make admissions decisions on a series of mock applications. Real college admissions counselors will lead discussions about how applications are read and how decisions are made.
- College Application Workshop: Before school starts in August, seniors come to campus for a college application workshop to begin–or even complete–applications before school starts.
- FAFSA Workshop: Juniors and families attend a FAFSA workshop led by a university financial aid officer
- PSAT/NMSQT: Freshmen take the PSAT 8/9 in the fall. Sophomores and Juniors take the PSAT in the fall.
- PSAT Kaplan Prep Course: IWA offers a 5-week Kaplan Prep Course on campus The course includes proven strategies, 2 full-length practice tests, and expert teachers.
- SAT/ACT Test: Juniors are encouraged to take the SAT and ACT in the spring of junior year and again in the summer or fall of senior year. During the Spring Semester, IWA offers the ACT and SAT on-site during a school day.
College is a match to be made, not a prize to be won.
Freshmen year is not too early to start thinking about college! Your goals for freshmen year are to set a solid foundation in your transcript and to begin exploring your passions and interests.
Throughout the year, seniors meet individually with the college counselor to finalize application list, fill out Apply Texas and/or Common Application, determine who will write teacher recommendations, review resume and essays, apply for financial aid, select a college, etc