YLP Graduation Distinctions
Our goal is to prepare young women for a life of authentic, bold service leadership. Each year we recognize students who have shown extraordinary commitment to the IWA leadership model.
Incarnate Word Academy is one of the only schools in the country to offer its students a concentration in leadership studies. This leadership designation is written on high school transcripts, and is communicated to colleges through student applications and teacher recommendations. Students can graduate with a concentration in leadership studies if they take 3 out of the 4 leadership courses. A concentration course average of 90 or above is required.
Distinguished Leader is an honor given to those who have distinguished themselves during their time at IWA by living up to our definition of an authentic, bold servant leader–a person who has demonstrated significant personal growth and has created an extraordinary solution that makes the world special. It is required that each senior selected for graduation distinction prepares an online portfolio which documents their completion of the requirements below:
- Classroom Learning: Complete all requirements for the Leadership Concentration
- Service Learning: Perform 105 service hours through IWA’s Service Learning Program
- Formal Enrichment: Complete a 4 day leadership/academic/service enrichment program
- IWA Involvement: We expect Distinguished Leaders to take on a formal or informal leadership role in her clubs, leadership organizations, honor societies, student government, fine arts and athletic programs.
- Extraordinary Solution: Distinguished Leaders leave a lasting legacy at IWA through their own extraordinary solution. This capstone accomplishment brings together all the pieces of their 4 year leadership journey at IWA.